It is recommended that you seek professional advice about your thinning or felling operations.
You will find lists of consultants and contractors in our Online Directory. A list of registered foresters is also available from Forest Service.
2. FELLING LICENCE
A Felling Licence must be applied for and a licence received prior to any thinning or felling operation.
It is recommended that growers apply to Forest Service for Felling Licences a number of months before the intended thinning or felling date. For more information, see Forest Service - Felling Section
3. THINNING PRACTICES
Before you thin check out available information on thinning practices:
- The Irish Thinning Protocol - A complete step by step guide for undertaking thinnings
- Thinning to improve stand quality - Coford Connects Research Note Silviculture / Management No. 10
- Silvicultural Guidance for Tending and Thinning of Broadleaves - Forest Service guidelines
- Teagasc Thinning Ready Reckoner - Getting Ready for Thinning
- Thinning Control - Field Guide (Forestry Commission, 2015)
4. SECURING YOUR TIMBER
Check out recommended sales dispatch system to secure your timber sale.
5. USE A CONTRACT
It is recommended that any woodland owner entering into the sale of timber should draw up a contract.
A contract should set out clearly the owner's obligations, as well as those of the purchaser. In addition, the owner must remember that there are a number of legal requirements he must comply with before allowing contractors on site, including obligations under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act.
The contract should include such items as the thinning method, systems and procedures to be employed, details of the roundwood to be included in the sale, agreed prices, the amount of deposit and payment schedules, insurance details, commencement and completion dates, and so forth. If the timber is to be sold by weight the contract should provide for haulage to the mill within a specified time.
A Template Master Tree Sales Agreement was compiled and project managed by the Irish Timber Growers Association in consultation with growers and the forest industry. This Template Master Tree Sales Agreement was launched by Tom Hayes T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine in 2014 and is available for downloading from www.itga.ie
6. HEALTH & SAFETY REGULATIONS
- Code of Practice for Managing Safety and Health in Forestry Operations
- Guide to Safe Working with Timber and Chainsaws
7. TIMBER PRICE INFORMATION
There are a number of timber price sources:
Coillte produces quarterly and annual contracted Standing Sales figures by average tree size category.
The Irish Timber Growers Association www.itga.ie publishes quarterly and annual Private average roundwood prices received by private growers by average tree size category. These private prices are collated and compiled by UCD Forestry Section and only the compiled average prices are released for publication to the Irish Timber Growers Association. Both Coillte and Private average roundwood prices are available to ITGA Members, for more information see www.itga.ie
Both Coillte and Private Roundwood Prices are also published in the annual ITGA Forestry & Timber Yearbook. This publication can be purchased Online on www.forestryyearbook.ie or from the Irish Timber Growers Association Secretariat (+353 (0) 1 2350520). The ITGA Forestry & Timber Yearbook is published annually in December.
Other sources: Teagasc Knowledge Transfer
8. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Felling Decision Tool - The Felling Decision Tool provides guidance to forest owners on when to fell their forest to obtain the best return from their forest asset. The tool can be accessed through http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/forestservicegeneralinformation/foreststatisticsandmapping/fellingdecisiontool/.
- Guidance for Forest Owners with Windblow - Windblow Taskforce (March 2014)
- Managing Timber Transport - Good Practice Guide (Forest Industry Transport Group, 2014)
- All Ireland Roundwood Production Forecast 2011-2028 by Henry Phillips (Coford publication)
- Timber Measurement Manual - Standard Procedures for the Measurement of Round Timber for Sale Purposes in Ireland (Coford publication)