Felling Decision Tool
The Felling Decision Tool provides guidance to forest owners on when to fell their forest to obtain the best return from their forest asset. The tool can be accessed through http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/forestservicegeneralinformation/foreststatisticsandmapping/fellingdecisiontool/.
Roundwood Production Forecast System
This GIS Portal accompanying the COFORD All Ireland Roundwood Production Forecast 2016-2035 will generate user defined spatial forecasts up to 2035 for private and Coillte forests. The GIS Portal, which was developed by the Information Management and Technology Division (IMT) of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, may be accessed through https://publicapps.agriculture.gov.ie/gispublic/rpfms/pages/workspace/public.jsp
Windblow risk probability model for Sitka spruce
The Windthrow Model predicts the probability of windthrow occurring in a stand and was developed by Dr Áine Ní Dhubháin, School of Biology and Environmental Science, University College Dublin in conjunction with Jonathon Walshe (UCD), Michael Bulfin (Teagasc), Dr Michael Keane (Coillte) and Paul Mills (Compass Infomatics).
For more information, see: http://www.coford.ie/toolsservices/windthrow/
GROWFOR - Forest Planning Models
Reliably constructed growth models that permit forecasting of growth and yield are important for the successful management of forest plantations.
For more information, see:
- GROWFOR - Forest Planning Models
- COFORD Connects Research Note 20 'Dynamic yield models used in Irish forestry' (Coford 2012)
Forest Yield - PC-based yield model for forest management in Britain
The software provides the user with estimates of various aspects of tree growth, for a range of tree species, yield classes and management prescriptions. Forest Yield will be of use to forest and woodland managers and practitioners, researchers and students.
For more information, see:
iPhone /Android apps for foresters
There are various apps available to the modern forester.
Below are just a few links to some interesting apps out there:
- Leafsnap - identifies trees from photo taken - http://www.leafsnap.com/
- ForestXplorer - includes a useful tree identifier - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/mobileapp
- iHypsometer Lite - iHypsometer is the softwawre to measure the tree height with iPhone/iPod touch - Visit the iTunes app store to download iHypsometer
- iBitterlich - iBitterlich is the software to measure stand basal area using Bitterlich's method with iPhone/iPod touch. Dr. Walter Bitterlich was a forester and forest scientist in Austria.
You can estimate not only stand basal area but also stand volume in forest using this iOS application. - Visit the iTunes app store to download iBitterlich
- Official Coillte App - Keep up to date with all the latest news from coillte.ie and social media channels
- AshTag app - to help map and identify the Ash dieback disease. Available from Google Play
- Pest and disease 'TreeCheck' App - DAFM & DARD in Northern Ireland have co-operated closely in developing and launching a smart phone web based App called TreeCheck. The App will enhance the ability of tree and forest owners and the public to accurately report ill health in trees to both Departments. The app can be accessed by scanning the QR or by using the TreeCheck link. For more information, see Tree Check Article
- ‘IFI – Invasive Species’ app - Inland Fisheries Ireland have launched an exciting new smart phone App that is now available for free download from the Google Play and iTunes App stores.
The easy to use and readily accessible ‘IFI – Invasive Species’ app will aid users in the identification of invasive species and permit them to take geo-referenced photographs that will immediately be uploaded to the IFI server. The information so received will be reviewed, uploaded onto the IFI species database and, if the sighting is of something new or particularly worrying, will trigger an immediate rapid response and on-site survey by IFI staff.
All verified sighting records will be periodically copied to the National Biodiversity Data Centre.
- ViewRanger GPS-Trails and Maps - Free GPS App for Outdoor pursuits. Available from Google Play
- MOTI - Android application specifically designed for forestry professionals to capture variables such as basal area, number of trees per ha, tree height and stock. Available free of charge from Google Play
- Plot Hound - free data collection app from Silviaterra. Available from Google Play
- TimberLink™ - Machine Performance and Condition Monitoring System
- TerraNote - 'the forest in the palm of your hand'
- iFOVEA app - Stacks of timber measured photo-optically with a smartphone
- Polterluchs - photo-optic measurements of timber stacks (Wahlers Forsttechnik GmbH)
- WaldFliege - App for the wood data acquisition with the smartphone.
- ForstTotal - cloud based framework for forestry
- Hilfe im Wald (Help in the Forest) and Polter im Wald(Stacks in the Forest) - smartphone forestry apps by Intend Geoinformatik
- Service Forester's Toolkit. The Service Forester's Toolkit app is based on the United States Forest Service’s (USFS) Service Forester's Handbook, a highly sought after tool used by foresters and natural resource professionals working in the field. This convenient pocket guide is a quick-reference for basic forest and land measurements, tree measurements, volume tables, site index charts and more. Available from Google Play
- Trestima™ - forest inventory system. Trestima mobile application is available for Windows Phone 7.5 (or newer), free of charge from Windows Phone store