Forest Carbon Tool
Teagasc, in conjunction with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) and Forest Environmental Research and Services (FERS) Limited have developed an online Forest Carbon Tool. The tool provides indicative data for potential carbon sequestration associated with new forest enterprises which include current options under the DAFM Forestry Programme. It also provides indicative sequestration data for specific tree species/species groups.
The Forest Carbon Tool is accessible from https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/forestry/advice/general-topics/forest-carbon-tool/
Roundwood Production Forecast System
This GIS Portal accompanying the COFORD All Ireland Roundwood Production Forecast 2016-2035 will generate user defined spatial forecasts up to 2035 for private and Coillte forests. The GIS Portal, which was developed by the Information Management and Technology Division (IMT) of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, may be accessed through https://publicapps.agriculture.gov.ie/gispublic/rpfms/pages/workspace/public.jsp
GROWFOR - Forest Planning Models
Reliably constructed growth models that permit forecasting of growth and yield are important for the successful management of forest plantations.
For more information, see:
- GROWFOR - Forest Planning Models
- COFORD Connects Research Note 20 'Dynamic yield models used in Irish forestry' (Coford 2012)
Forest Yield - PC-based yield model for forest management in Britain
The software provides the user with estimates of various aspects of tree growth, for a range of tree species, yield classes and management prescriptions. Forest Yield will be of use to forest and woodland managers and practitioners, researchers and students.
For more information, see:
Felling Decision Tool
The Felling Decision Tool provides guidance to forest owners on when to fell their forest to obtain the best return from their forest asset. The tool can be accessed through https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ea3cf-forest-management-tools/#felling-decision-tool.
Windblow risk probability model for Sitka spruce
The Windthrow Model predicts the probability of windthrow occurring in a stand and was developed by Dr Áine Ní Dhubháin, School of Biology and Environmental Science, University College Dublin in conjunction with Jonathon Walshe (UCD), Michael Bulfin (Teagasc), Dr Michael Keane (Coillte) and Paul Mills (Compass Infomatics).
For more information, see: http://www.coford.ie/toolsservices/windthrow/
iPhone /Android apps for foresters
There are various apps available to the modern forester.
Below are links to some interesting apps out there:
- Pest and disease 'TreeCheck' App - DAFM & DARD in Northern Ireland have co-operated closely in developing and launching a smart phone web based App called TreeCheck. The App will enhance the ability of tree and forest owners and the public to accurately report ill health in trees to both Departments. The app can be accessed by scanning the QR or by using the TreeCheck link. For more information, see Tree Check Article
- Leafsnap - identifies trees from photo taken - http://www.leafsnap.com/
- ForestXplorer - includes a useful tree identifier - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/mobileapp
- iHypsometer Lite - iHypsometer is the softwawre to measure the tree height with iPhone/iPod touch - Visit the iTunes app store to download iHypsometer
- iBitterlich - iBitterlich is the software to measure stand basal area using Bitterlich's method with iPhone/iPod touch. Dr. Walter Bitterlich was a forester and forest scientist in Austria.
You can estimate not only stand basal area but also stand volume in forest using this iOS application. - Visit the iTunes app store to download iBitterlich
- ‘IFI – Invasive Species’ app - Inland Fisheries Ireland have launched an exciting new smart phone App that is now available for free download from the Google Play and iTunes App stores.
The easy to use and readily accessible ‘IFI – Invasive Species’ app will aid users in the identification of invasive species and permit them to take geo-referenced photographs that will immediately be uploaded to the IFI server. The information so received will be reviewed, uploaded onto the IFI species database and, if the sighting is of something new or particularly worrying, will trigger an immediate rapid response and on-site survey by IFI staff.
All verified sighting records will be periodically copied to the National Biodiversity Data Centre.
- ViewRanger GPS-Trails and Maps - Free GPS App for Outdoor pursuits. Available from Google Play
- MOTI - Android application specifically designed for forestry professionals to capture variables such as basal area, number of trees per ha, tree height and stock. Available free of charge from Google Play
- Plot Hound - free data collection app from Silviaterra. Available from Google Play
- TimberLink™ - Machine Performance and Condition Monitoring System
- TerraNote - 'the forest in the palm of your hand'
- iFOVEA app - Stacks of timber measured photo-optically with a smartphone
- WaldFliege - App for the wood data acquisition with the smartphone.
- Hilfe im Wald (Help in the Forest) and Waldinfoplan (GIS organiser for foresters) - smartphone forestry apps and solutions by Intend Geoinformatik
- Service Forester's Toolkit. The Service Forester's Toolkit app is based on the United States Forest Service’s (USFS) Service Forester's Handbook, a highly sought after tool used by foresters and natural resource professionals working in the field. This convenient pocket guide is a quick-reference for basic forest and land measurements, tree measurements, volume tables, site index charts and more. Available from Google Play
- Trestima™ - forest inventory system. Trestima mobile application is available for Windows Phone 7.5 (or newer), free of charge from Windows Phone store
- Timber calculator - This free app Performs calculation of the cubic capacity of the forest and lumber. [by SlavikSOFT Business (PEGI 3)]. Available from Google Play
- Timber Calculator Plus Timber Calculator Plus is the simple and easy way to calculate cubic of Round Logs, Timber Cut sizes, Door, Board, etc. It is the best application for timber merchants and sawmill calculations. [by SKA Technologies]
Available from Google Play
Lone Worker Safety
A lot of forestry professionals work alone. Trackplot is designed to aid in the security of lone workers. For more information, see trackplot.com
Another solution to temporarily keep track of employees or co-workers when they are out in the forest is to use the Glympse App.
Glympse is a fast, free and simple way to share your real-time location using GPS tracking.